Here are the statements for the candidates running in our Fall by-elections

There are two (2) Executive positions available that will be elected by our Course Unions representatives at our first ASS Council Meeting on September 29th

Youssef Abdelhafez

I am excited to announce my candidacy for being on the executive team of ASSU. As a passionate and dedicated student, I believe that I can make a meaningful impact on our campus community and represent the diverse voices of our student body.

As an international student, I understand the unique challenges and opportunities that come with studying in a foreign country. My journey here has given me a profound appreciation for cultural diversity and a deep commitment to ensuring that all students, regardless of their background, feel welcomed and supported.

Throughout my time at this university, I have been actively involved in various student organizations and clubs, which has given me valuable insights into the needs and concerns of our fellow students, both international and local. I have witnessed the power of collaboration and effective leadership in driving positive change, and I am committed to continuing this tradition. I bring with me a strong track record of organization, communication, and I am eager to leverage these skills to implement initiatives that address any pressing issues facing our student community.

If elected, my primary goals are to enhance the student experience, foster a more inclusive campus environment, and taking responsibility of all the roles and tasks that come with the position. With your support, I am confident that together, we can create a more vibrant and inclusive university experience. Thank you for considering me as your candidate, and I look forward to working with you to make positive changes in

Muhammad Ali

Hello everyone. My name is Muhammad Ali and I am running for ASSU executive. I am currently in my fourth year at the University of Toronto, majoring in human biology and immunology.

In all my time attending this university, I have not only seen a loving community but also an accepting one. However, with the recent events that have been transpiring recently, I think it is vital that we emphasize communication above anything else.

Many of the student services that exist for the benefit of the students are still not known or advocated enough for them. Students often join this university with the mindset that they are at the mercy of the institution, however, that is far from the truth. Unions such as this one are here to help students with their various needs, from mental health to academic requirements, however, not many students are aware of this fact or even take advantage of these assisting services.

In order to understand the issues that the students at this university face, we must first try our best to remove any and every barrier that stands in the way of communicating effectively with our student body. Therefore, one of my goals as an ASSU executive will be to enhance communication with students to better understand the issues that they face.

I am running because I want to genuinely help the students of this campus have an amazing and fulfilling experience.

Prarabdha Bhalerao

Hey Arts & Science Fam,

Ever wish your college life had the same glow-up as a TikTok star going viral overnight? I’m Prarabdha Bhalerao, and I’m running to be your next ASSU Executive. My mission? To make your time in the Faculty of Arts and Science as buzzworthy as a trending hashtag, without the FOMO.

First off, let’s talk office hours. If elected, I promise my office hours will be the highlight of your week. Think of it as a mini “Friends” episode but with free exam packages and life advice. Could I BE more helpful?

For Dean’s Office meetings, I’ll walk in there like I’m auditioning for “Suits,” ready to advocate for the issues you care about. Tuition fees, mental health services, you name it. I’ll be your Harvey Specter, but with better jokes.

Course Union meetings? I’ll be the one giving TED-Talk-level reports on what we’re cooking up at ASSU. Spoiler: It’s going to be more exciting than the latest Marvel movie.

And let’s not forget ASSU projects. I’m talking about Undergraduate Research Conferences that are as hyped as Coachella and Arbor journals that read like New York Times bestsellers.

So, if you want an ASSU executive who’s as committed as a “Game of Thrones” fan theorising who’ll sit on the Iron Throne, vote for me. Together, we’ll make the Faculty of Arts and Science the blockbuster hit it deserves to be.

Peace, Love, and Office Supplies,
Prarabdha Bhalerao (Riu)

Farida Kayed

Hi artsci!

My name is Farida Kayed and I am a second year lifesci student doubling in human biology and pharmacology and toxicology with a minor in immunology.  I am excited to announce my candidacy for the position of ASSU Executive team.  My involvement across the campus includes being the first-year director on WCSA, Chair of the Board on WCSA, Orientation Head Leader for Woodsworth and Events Executive Director of HOSA UTSG.  My commitment to enhancing the student experience and addressing critical issues on campus drives me to seek your support in this election.

I want to put my efforts towards A) informed academic selection: helping students make informed decisions about their course patterns by providing efficient course evaluations and pass syllabuses. B) Increase Scholarship and Grant awareness as well as advocate for more financial opportunities for all undergraduate years. C) Maximize ASSU transparency: actively seek input from students to inform our decisions and inform students of progress made in collaboration with the faculty, and university administrators.

These three causes are at the heart of my vision for a better university experience.  However, I understand that there are numerous other issues that require attention, and I am dedicated to listening to your concerns.  Together, we can make our campus more supportive, affordable, and conducive to informed course selection, ensuring that you have the information you need to make the right choices for your education.

A vote for Farida Kayed is a vote for you!

Angela Raiban Martinez

As a third-year Arts and Science student, I have witnessed the profound struggle of an academic and personal life balance and the pressures exerted by our social and academically related institutions for success. While some students can succeed independently, more require support and access to networks, resources, and opportunities. I commit to ensuring that the Faculty of Arts and Science promotes an inclusive and diverse environment via their motions and ideas while promoting accessibility.

I believe students should accommodate school into their lives and not accommodate their life according to their school schedules. A successful academic career is remarkable and reflects a strong work ethic. However, academic success does not reflect a student’s value or full potential. I commit to ensuring that the Faculty of Arts and Science creates an environment that reminds students that their academic achievements do not define their sense of worth. I aim to ensure the Faculty of Arts and Science provides students with the support they need for success.

There is an information gap between students from different social circles, especially first-generation, international, and minority students. I commit to ensuring students know how to access the vast resources of support the University has to offer.

The most successful students and leaders have received support with their academics, provided skillsets to navigate their struggles, and encouraged to embrace their identities. I commit to ensuring that the Faculty of Arts and Science projects create an environment that promotes authenticity and diversity across academic, cultural, and social representations.

Ajaswi Regmi

Hi Arts & Science Students!

My name is Ajaswi Regmi(she/her), and I am a first-year student, who has not quite decided what her major is yet! Throughout the last few years, I’ve been serving as a member of my school board’s Student Equity Council where I was overseeing and conveying thoughts/opinions from 150 000+ students to board officials, alongside planning initiatives!

Enough about me, WHAT ABOUT YOU?

I want to ensure that my platform is yours! Below I have included some of my KEY PRIORITIES:

1. Transparency for Students! Many 1st year students have conveyed the disappointment they’ve faced due to the lack of transparency in terms of safety concerns on campus, and other administration issues that have left many feeling helpless. I’d like to create a program that can make communication on reporting campus issues and discovering safety concerns easier and accessible!
  2. Multiculturalism! I would like to advocate for more multicultural events for students to share and express their heritage, without the need of joining a new club!
  3. Widespread Mental-Health Support! The ones who suffer the most, may also be the most silent. It is daunting to go ask for help, so why don’t we bring the help to you? Having mental health booths around campus where students have a safe place to take part in stress relieving activities, and ask advice to a counsellor is also something I’d like to implement!

Remember that a vote for Ajaswi, is a vote for you! Happy voting!

Eugene Seo

Hello everyone! My name is Eugene Seo. As an ASSU executive the last year, I’ve had the honour of being a part of this passionate and driven team already. With great respect and admiration, I’ve watched all the work each course union has put in to make this campus a connective and equitable space for everyone.

Since elementary school, student governance and initiatives have always had ample space in my heart. I’ve gained insightful experience throughout my undergrad from being in the Arts and Science Council these past three years, as I currently have four positions on the council as a student representative. I’ve also been an avid supporter of the new and incoming student experiences through first-year connections programs, residence advising, and fall campus days. I greatly enjoy supporting and learning about the student perspective.

The past school year, I’ve been an asset to ASSU, speaking to the Dean monthly about student concerns, hosting a speaker event, bringing back the Open Mic Night, moderating for the Undergraduate Research Conference, and being part of the Undergraduate Research Fund committee. Moving forward with ASSU, I want to establish stronger connections between ASSU and the colleges, commuters, and student unions.

I am incredibly passionate, committed, and empathetic towards everything I do. I believe in my experience, confidence, and comfort in reaching out to you directly and working to do what’s right for student voices.

Thank you so much for your time, and please consider voting for me.

Mohamed Shorosh

Dear ASSU,

This is why I aspire to be an executive in the Arts and Science Student Union – because I know I’m not perfect. My journey, shaped by the challenges of dyslexia, has taught me the value of resilience, creative problem-solving, and determination. These qualities, born from imperfection, are precisely what I believe can make a meaningful impact within the union.

As an executive member, I aim to create an inclusive environment where students, regardless of their strengths or struggles, can find support, encouragement, and opportunities to thrive. Dyslexia has shown me that everyone faces hurdles, and it’s in acknowledging and embracing our imperfections that we can truly grow.

My unique perspective, gained through overcoming academic obstacles, will enable me to empathize with fellow students who may be struggling in various aspects of their academic journey. I want to leverage my experience to champion initiatives that provide resources, mentorship, and a sense of belonging to all students, ensuring no one feels left behind.

In leadership, I believe in leading by example. My story demonstrates that excellence isn’t always about being flawless; it’s about resilience, determination, and a willingness to learn and adapt. I will bring this philosophy to my role as an executive, fostering an environment where everyone’s potential can shine, regardless of their imperfections.

In conclusion, I believe that my unique journey, marked by the triumph over imperfection, aligns perfectly with the values and goals of the Arts and Science Student Union. I am eager to contribute my skills

Eshnika Singh

Hi!

My name is Eshnika Singh, a second year at UofT. I am pursuing a double major in International Relations and Mathematics. Beyond the classroom however, I am keen on improving the student experience at UofT. In highschool, I took up multiple leadership roles to empower students. In university, organising NAMUN and New College Orientation allowed me to connect with more people and gain insight about the challenges most students face.

As a part of the ASSU, I look forward to:

• Improving mental health support and bridging the gap between students and counsellors.
    • Making it easier for students with first languages other than English to access mental health
    resources.
    •          Expanding the ASSU’s past question papers bank.
    •          Introduce a mentorship program with assistance from different course unions.
    •          Creating a space for current students to connect alumni from various fields.

While I recognize that bringing about this change will not be easy, I am willing to put in the work to make these changes. I have learnt a lot in my first year and I wish to work toward making it easier for other students.

Thank you for considering me. Vote Eshnika for executive!

Mac Xing

Hello Arts and Science students!

My name is Mac, and I am a first-year life sciences student. I am super excited to be running for ASSU Executive this upcoming school year with the goal of bringing fun, positive, and meaningful change to our community!

I’ll be the first to admit, as a first-year student, my knowledge of and experience with UofT’s culture and community is relatively limited. That being said, I am confident that my wealth of prior experiences will provide a unique perspective to the ASSU Executive team.

As President of my high school’s environmental club, I led the planning, designing, campaigning, and maintaining of our $40 000 Indigenous-inspired “Infinity Garden”. The garden had three unique purposes: first, to promote reconciliation with the Indigenous community; second, to naturalize the area around the school; and third, to provide an inclusive communal area for students to socialize and have fun.

Moving forward, these three goals will represent the culture I hope to build within the A&S community. As I have always done before, I will continue to advocate and act for:

1. Promoting inclusivity
    2. Advancing environmental sustainability, and
    3.         Nurturing a fun and family-like environment

If elected, I would absolutely love to hear ideas from you, the A&S community, about things you wish to see discussed and implemented by the ASSU. After all, just like you, I am an A&S student myself.

Thank you for your consideration, and I’m looking forward to working alongside everyone in the A&S community!

Mac

Safia Zaman