Here is the response from the Arts and Science Students’ Union Executive to a letter from the University College Literary and Athletic Society regarding the levy referendum occurring on March 6th 2013.
The ASSU office will be closed for reading week. We will re-open on Monday February 25th, at 10 a.m.
Have a great reading week!!
Arts & Science Students’ Union (ASSU) Elections 2013-14
In March, ASSU will be holding elections for next year’s Executive. ASSU Council will be electing a President and four (4) Executive Members. The term of office will start on May 1, 2013 – so Executives must be available during the summer to participate in ASSU initiatives and attend meetings in person. Two (2) more Executives will be elected in September.
The ASSU Executive represents the academic concerns for over 23,000 full-time Arts & Science students on the St. George campus. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to – holding office hours every week in the ASSU Office, attending Executive meetings every few weeks, reporting at ASSU Council Meetings, sitting on various ASSU committees, representing ASSU at Faculty meetings, working with and helping Course Unions, working on ASSU projects and any other academic concerns affecting A&S students that might come up during the year.
If you have the time commitment and the passion, why not consider running for the ASSU Executive! Any Full-time, Arts & Science Student registered on the St. George campus, or ASSU-fee paying student can run for a position. Nominations open on Monday, February 11th at 10 a.m. and close on Tuesday, March 5th at 5 p.m. Drop by the ASSU Office, SS 1068 to pick up a nomination form.
ASSU is collecting food for Daily Bread Food Bank . For every non perishable food item you bring, ASSU will waive the cost of photocopying for one test or give your 50% a test package. Donations can be brought to the ASSU office. Daily Bread currently needs these items the most:
• Peanut butter
• Canned fruits and vegetables
• Dried pasta and tomato sauce
• Canned or dried lentils and beans
• Powdered, canned or Tetra Pak cartons of milk
• Baby formula and baby food
• Canned fish and meat
• Cans of soup or hearty stew
• Macaroni and cheese
Welcome to the brand new ASSU website. This website was built by Crossroads Collective, we’re a 3 man freelance web dev company and we’re all students here at U of T. We encourage you to take a look around at the new site, and then stay tuned to the website for new news postings as well as events in the new events calendar!
We hope you like the site.
- Must be full-time graduating student who will be registering in a graduate program in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Minimum graduating GPA for consideration is 3.3.
- Applicants must also demonstrate contributions to both the University and the community outside of the University. Specifically, the selection committee will place equal importance on:
o The candidate’s dedication to enhancing the student experience of their peers through involvement in and contribution to a variety of aspects of university life
o The candidate’s commitment to community outreach and involvement, as demonstrated by extracurricular activities outside of the University.
- Financial need will be considered; must demonstrate financial need by qualifying for OSAP for the fall-winter sessions in which the application is made.
- Please note: international students are not eligible.
- Award will be paid upon registration in a graduate program in the Faculty of Arts and Science in the following fall-winter session.
Applications are composed of 6 parts that must be submitted together. Please ensure applications are complete upon submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must include applicant’s student number and current mailing address.
- Application Summary Form
- A one to two-page statement on your future academic and career goals.
- Curriculum vitae outlining academic achievements, scholarships and awards received, work experience, and extracurricular involvement. Extracurricular experience should be clearly separated into two categories: inside and outside the University
- Letter of support from a University of Toronto faculty member (must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the application).
- Letter of support from an administrative staff member (e.g. college registrar’s office staff, undergraduate admimistrator), or alumni who can verify your campus involvement (must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the application).
- Copy of the applicant’s OSAP assessment.
Submit applications to:
Faculty of Arts and Science Student Awards Committee
c/o Lanor Mallon, Manager, Faculty Governance and Curriculum
Sidney Smith Hall, Room 1006
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3G3
Deadline: March 15 at 5:00 p.m. – Late submissions will not be accepted.
Applicants will be notified of the decision by mail by end of April.
Please remember to fill out your course evaluations online. You will receive an email in your UTOR mailbox – this is your only link to the online evaluation system. The deadline to complete your evaluations is December 7th.
Paper evaluations will not be given out in class – this is the new system.
ASSU TRAVEL BURSARY
In order to be eligible for this award, a student must:
- Be registered full-time as a undergraduate Arts & Science student on the St. George campus
- Be requesting funds to support research travel to sites within or outside of Canada that is necessary for the completion of their current program; or travel expenses to be an active participant (e.g. speaker, poster presenter, member of a panel or round table) in a conference (or other academic meeting) relevant to their academic program
Students must fill out the application form and submit any supporting documents.
Grant values vary. Not all projects are funded and the funding awarded may not cover the entire amount requested by the applicant.
GRADUATING AWARD FOR COURSE UNIONS
-Full-time Arts &Science student, registered on the St. George campus in their graduating year
-Minimum 2 years experience on an ASSU Course Union Executive – attach description of involvement
-Minimum GPA of 1.7 (provide a print off of your transcript from ROSI)
-Must provide a letter of support for your Course Union involvement (ASSU Staff & Executive excluded)
-Must provide a 500 word statement on how your Course Union involvement added to your undergraduate experience and personal development.
Deadline: Friday, January 18, 2013 5 p.m.